The title says it all: the "Essential Guide to Semiconductors" is the perfect book for intelligent adults who want to get up to speed on this fascinating and complex industry. Part business primer, part technical overview, Essential Guide to Semiconductors walks you through the value chain, the relationships among companies, how chips are made, who buys them any way, and what exactly is a semiconductor, anyway?
This book is written for intelligent adults who have no technical background, and no interest in acquiring one. It's gloriously free of technical jargon and obscure financial models. Just clear, easy-to-understand English with lots of charts, illustrations, and photographs to liven up the text.
- How silicon chips are made
- Which companies are the biggest chip makers
- The differences between microprocessors, memories, and other types of chips
- Where the industry is headed
- Where most silicon chips are used
- The difference between silicon and silicone
- What those people in the astronaut "bunny suits" are doing
- How much it costs to make computer chips
- and much, much more